FUGS#6776 (Long Ly)
For our 17th entry into the Hall of Legends, we have Fugs. Thank you so much for your support and congratulations on your achievement. Below is the story he sent us.
My name is Long and I am from Brisbane, Australia. I have been playing Hearthstone since November 2014 as essentially a free to play player. I found myself enjoying the game more and more and by the time GvG came around, I bit the bullet and purchased both adventures (Nax and Blackrock) as well as the GvG bundle. Since that point I have consistently been able to get to Rank 5 each season, however due to time constraints (I have 2 children under 5), I have found it difficult to make a legend push.
I have been a long-time listener of HearthCoach since episode 1, and I have really enjoyed the podcasting style and structure of HearthCoach. The way the games are commentated along with the subtle lessons and tips that are given during each episode have made me a better player. Lessons that I have learnt from HearthCoach include:-
- Making opponents have the answer
- Make sure you always do random effects first (life life tapping as a warlock)
- Anticipate what your opponents optimal plays are for the next turn and play accordingly
Three months ago (just before WOG was released), I made my first serious push to legend. I made it all the way to Rank 2 3 stars, but went on a big losing streak and dropped all the way back to Rank 5. That was a disheartening experience and I decided to give myself a couple of months before I would try again.
This season I started the season playing a few fun decks without the intention of making a legend push. By the midway point of the season I had made it to rank 8 and was bouncing up and down. It was at this point that I decided to try piloting a Dragon Warrior Deck. I started losing with the deck initially and dropped back to Rank 10, but then things started clicking with the Deck and I pushed all the way up to Rank 5 on a big 10 game win streak. It was at this point I decided to stick with this deck from Rank 5 through to Legend. I'm proud to say that last night (26th June 2016), I made it to legend playing exclusively Dragon Warrior from Rank 5 at a 63% win-rate.
When I made up my mind I was going to make the push, the 4 biggest things that I believe got me there were:-
- Looking over replays of games that I lost where I felt I could have won (using deck-tracker)
- Sticking to the one deck and really learning the strengths and weaknesses of the deck
- When I lost 3 games in a row, I would stop playing and do something else (like an arena run, watching some basketball, playing Overwatch)
- Keeping stats and consistently looking over them to find out favourable match-ups
I really wanted to say a big thanks to FRID and Dan for producing such a great Podcast that has helped a person like me (Yes Me!) become Legendary. I'm sure this Podcast will help many more listeners make it to Legend also!